Coronavirus (CoVid-19) hit the world by surprise this 2020 and changed the way consumers behave.
Since the beginning of 2020, in order to slow down the spread of CoVid-19 and to prevent contracting CoVid-19, countless of people have been desperately looking for 70 percent Isopropyl alcohol on the internet.
Consequently, many online sellers are now taking advantage of the situation by either: selling a low-grade (industrial grade) alcohol and advertising it as medical-grade; or selling an alcohol at a concentration lower than indicated (e.g. selling an alcohol as 70 percent even if it is only 30 percent in concentration).
Here are several foolproof tips to ensure you get an authentic 70% Rubbing Alcohol:
1. Ask the seller for certificate of analysis to verify the alcohol content.
- Check for the laboratory who conducted the test and do google search if the laboratory is FDA accredited.
- Check the PRC license of the chemist. See below for reference.
2. Ask the seller for FDA product notification to verify if the 70 percent Isopropyl Alcohol you bought online has passed the standards of FDA.
- Verify if the FDA product notification is not counterfeit by going to the FDA website: https://www.fda.gov.ph
- You might also want to check FDA website to see if the 70 percent Alcohol you bought online is on the list of their approved brand of 70 percent alcohol.
3. Test the physical and chemical properties of the alcohol that you bought.
- Do a flame test by getting small sample of the alcohol, set it aflame. Flame will be yellowish orange for Isopropyl alcohol (Bluish if ethyl alcohol.) If it does not set ablaze then your purchased alcohol might have been a counterfeit product.
- Smell the scent of the alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol usually smells like your typical rubbing alcohol or hospital smell. If it smells like acetone or paint thinner, you likely bought a fake product online.
4. If you are really suspicious on the product that you are about to buy. Search up the company of the alcohol brand that you are about to buy on facebook or google and call their office to verify if it is really original.